Saturday 12 August 2017

Another circuit of The Gap of Dunloe

Today was supposed to be a fine sunny day but as I drove back to Killarney it was low cloud and frequent showers that defined the drive. Bollocks to it. I was hoping to get some quality scrambling in with a possibly the Hags Tooth and Howling ridge in the offing but that idea quickly left my head. I really couldn't face walking in the Hags Glen again so I decided that another circuit of the Gap would give me a decent walk and I decided to do it clockwise this time to try and have a different feel to the day. It had bee a long time since I went up the long easy spur that heads south towards Tomies north top so I went that way today. I had been super optimistic before the walk and I was attired in a t-shirt and shorts but that soon changed when the first shower arrived by the time I had gone two hundred meters. Ah well. I was feeling pretty good and the exercises I have been doing with the Kettlebell have definitely improved my knees. The walk was uneventful and thankfully the weather improved as the day progressed. It never got sunny but at least I was under the cloud for most of the route. This was a little longer than the last time I was here so I reckon around 19 Kilometers and 1500 mtrs of ascent in 5 hours 45 mins. The Alps are getting closer 😎







No comments: