Wednesday 8 January 2014

Mangerton Mountain via The Horses Glen

I have been a little remiss in visiting the mountains of late so today I took the opportunity of a break in the atrocious weather we have been having and headed west to Kerry for a hike. I had gone for a short run last evening and I was surprisingly tired as I set off. It was a pleasant weather day with little or no wind and little cloud in the sky. As I neared the start of the route I got a great view of a young stag on the edge of the woods. The mountain was largely clear of cloud except for the very top which had a thin layer of mist clinging to it. Unsurprisingly there was a lot of water on the trail and the heathery boggy trackless ground towards Lough Garagarry was the usual trudge but all the effort was rewarded when you round the shoulder of the stunning view into the beautiful Horses Glen. I was quite tired and found that my legs felt really tired and leaden. Some big hill days are required if I am to regain sufficient fitness for a trip to Scotland in February. Anyway I persevered and eventually the steep slope to the summit of Mangerton North eventually passed. The impressive cliffs of the north face of the giant coum that surrounds Lough Erhogh are always a treat to look across at and today was no different. I continued on across the ridge to the main bulk of Mangerton itself and didn't stop until I was down and passed the Devils Punchbowl where a most welcome lunch was enjoyed as I enjoyed the view towards the Black Valley and a misty Reeks. Back down at the car I was tired but pleased that the outing had been done in 3 hours 45 mins. I must up the ante for the next one, perhaps a six or seven hour day.

No comments: